I'm doing a lot of work on culture, at Somerset County Council. I'll post a couple of old articles, just to get things started on the blog, and then aim to keep things up-to-date
Cultured Club
I sent an invitation to colleagues in
August and September last year, to join me in looking at culture at Somerset
County Council. The response was great and resulted in a number of lively
workshops across the county.
We covered a number of subjects,
defining what we think culture is, what determines it, culture at Somerset
County Council and what great culture looks and feels like. Conversation was
open, humorous but serious and there was a real sense of caring for colleagues
and services. One person admitted in later feedback, “If I’m honest I was
dreading it…”, but ended up by exclaiming that it had been “a joy to be part
of.” And no, that wasn’t when someone else substituted for me.
Participants were asked to take this
work back to their teams, using a shorter presentation, and through them we got
conversations happening in areas across the council. Colleagues were asked to
make ‘pledges’, so something they could achieve that would have a positive
impact on culture.
We’re now ready for round two of the
workshops and you don’t need to have attended the first round to take part.
I’ll present back on the themes that came out of the first sessions, so showing
what’s important to colleagues and areas that you’d like to see developed.
There will be some feedback on the pledges that people made, to see how you’ve
found them and where we’ve got with things. I’ll also present a piece of work
called the 21st Century Public Servant. Finally, we’ll look at
something called ‘Culture Hacks’, which will focus on bringing teams together
to make real improvements in areas that they are interested in.
I’m looking for a new People Strategy
coming out of this work, to clearly establish the link between the work that we
all do and how this improves lives for the citizens of Somerset.
Comments
Post a Comment